Arroz con Pollo (Chicken and Rice)
Serves 4 to 6
2 bunches fresh cilantro, roots trimmed off
2 cups Longo’s Chicken Broth, divided
1 chicken (about 3 lb), cut into 8 pieces
1 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
2 tbsp Longo’s 100% Pure Canola Oil
1 red onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup beer or chicken broth
1 1/2 cups Longo’s Long Grain Rice
1 carrot, diced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp Longo’s Ground Cumin
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 cup Longo’s Frozen Peas
Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 red finger chili pepper, seeded and diced
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp Longo’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- •Combine onion, chili pepper, cilantro, lime juice, oil, salt and pepper; set aside.
- •Place cilantro and 1/2 cup of the chicken broth in blender or food processor and purée until smooth; set aside. Sprinkle chicken pieces all over with 1/2 tsp each of the salt and pepper.
- •Heat oil in large, shallow Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown chicken all over and remove to plate. Reduce heat to medium.
- •Add onion to pan and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in garlic. Add beer and stir to deglaze the pan. Stir in rice, carrot, bell pepper and cumin, stirring to coat. Add remaining chicken broth, cilantro purée, hot sauce, and remaining salt and pepper; bring to a simmer. Return chicken to pan; cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Remove chicken from pan and stir in peas; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- •Spoon rice mixture onto plates and top with chicken and Creole Relish to serve. Garnish with cilantro leaves (if using).
A dash of advice
- Protein 34g
- Fibre 3g
- Fat 21g
- Sugar 8g
- Carbs 53g
- Sodium 990mg