Beef Roulade with Hummus, Spinach and Red Pepper
1/4 cup Longo’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
8 large cloves garlic, minced Half an onion, finely diced
1 tub (142 g) Longo’s Organic Baby Spinach
1 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
1 container (227 g) Longo’s Hummus
Half a 19 oz can Longo’s Chickpeas, drained and rinsed, crushed slightly
3 lb eye of round roast or 2 lb flank steak
1/2 cup Longo’s Sliced Roasted Peppers, drained and chopped
1/3 cup Longo’s Herb and Garlic Goat Cheese Crumbles
- •Heat half the oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic and onion for 1 minute or until tender. Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Remove from heat and stir in pinch each salt and pepper.
- •Stir hummus and crushed chickpeas together with pinch each salt and pepper; set aside.
- •Butterfly the eye of round or flank steak cutting horizontally into the long side of the steak, through the middle to about 1/2 inch of the other side. If using eye of round, repeat the same cut on both sides of roast. Open like a book and spread evenly onto a cutting board. Place plastic wrap or parchment paper on top of steak and pound gently with a meat mallet to about 1/2 inch thick. Season with 1/4 tsp each of the salt and pepper.
- •Spread hummus mixture evenly over steak. Top with spinach and sprinkle with roasted red pepper and goat cheese. Starting at bottom end, roll up steak into a pinwheel roulade. Tie with butcher’s twine in 2-inch intervals to hold in place. Refrigerate for 3 hours to set.
- •Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush roulade with remaining oil, and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Sear roulade on all sides and place on baking sheet. Roast in preheated 425°F oven for about 40 minutes or until thermometer reaches 135°F. Cover loosely with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing into 1-inch thick slices to serve.
A dash of advice
- Protein 40g
- Fibre 4g
- Fat 18g
- Sugar 1g
- Carbs 14g
- Sodium 730mg