Beet & Onion Pickles
Serves 5 (500mL) jars
4 lb red beets
3 cups sliced onions (about 3)
2 1/2 cups Longo's Organic Unpasteurized, Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp mustard seed
1 tsp each salt, whole allspice and whole cloves
1 Longo's Essentials Cinnamon Stick (about 6 inches long)
- •Scrub beets and trim all but 2 inches off stems; do not cut off roots.
- •Cook beets in boiling water for about 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from water; let cool slightly. Remove skins by slipping off beets. Cut into large chunks to measure 8 cups.
- •Heat jars and sealing discs in hot water. Keep jars and discs hot until ready to use.
- •Fill a large stock pot half full with water; cover and bring to a boil.
- •Combine onions, vinegar, sugar, water, mustard seed, salt, allspice, cloves and cinnamon in large saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil gently for 5 minutes.
- •Add beets and return to a full boil; remove from heat. Discard cinnamon.
- •Pack beets into hot jars to within 3/4 inch of top of jar. Add onions and hot liquid to cover beets to within 1/2 inch of top of jar. Using a non-metallic utensil, remove air bubbles and add more beets or liquid if needed. Wipe jar and centre sealing disc on jar. Screw band to fingertip tightness. Repeat with remaining beets, liquid and jars.
- •Place filled jars on rack in water canner, making sure water covers tops of jars by 1 inch. Cover and bring to a full boil. Boil for 30 minutes.
- •Remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface for 24 hours to cool.
- •Check sealing discs to see if they are curved down when gently pressed. Remove screw band and wipe jar. Store in cool, dark pace for up to 1 year.
- Protein 1g
- Fibre 1g
- Fat 0g
- Sugar 6g
- Carbs 7g
- Sodium 41mg