Black-Eyed Pea Hash
3 tbsp Longo’s Unsalted Butter 2 stalks celery, chopped
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 grilled shepherd pepper, chopped
1 grilled poblano pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped grilled zucchini
2 cups cooked black-eyed peas or 1 can (540 mL) Longo’s Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp Longo’s Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh Longo’s Thyme
3/4 cup flaked Hard Apple Cider Smoked Trout (if using see recipe)
- •Melt butter over medium heat in large skillet until frothing. Add celery, shallot and garlic; cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until transparent.
- •Stir in both peppers, zucchini and black-eyed peas. Cook, stirring, until vegetables heated through. Add salt and pepper; stir to coat.
- •Pour in vinegar and lemon juice and stir to deglaze pan. Stir in parsley and thyme to combine well. Remove from heat and gently fold in trout to serve.
- •Omit flaked trout and simply serve the hash alongside a portion of the smoked trout.
- •To grill vegetables brush peppers and zucchini slices with oil and grill over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, for 8 minutes for the zucchini and about 12 minutes for the peppers. Peel peppers and remove seeds. Dice all the vegetables.
- •For added colour and flavour, wilt 1 pkg (142 g) Longo’s Baby Spinach and top each bowl with it. Place 2 poached eggs on top to serve.
- Protein 15g
- Fibre 5g
- Fat 15g
- Sugar 4g
- Carbs 27g
- Sodium 470mg