Hard Apple Cider Smoked Trout
Prep time:10 min
Total time:3 hr 10 min
Serves 4 to 6
8 cups water
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
2 rainbow trout fillets (about 900 g)
1 can (473 mL) hard apple cider
- •Combine water, sugar and salt in large wide saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove from heat; let brine cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold.
- •Place trout, skin side up, in glass baking dish large enough to lay flat. Pour brine over trout to cover. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- •Remove trout from brine and pat dry with paper towel. Discard brine; brush fillets with some of the cider.
- •Place soaked apple wood chips into a foil pan. Place foil pan on one side of grill, directly on burner. Turn grill on high until chips start to smoke. Grease grill and turn off heat on opposite side of wood chips. Place trout fillets, skin side down on turned off side of grill.
- •Reduce heat to medium-low and cook with the lid closed, adjusting temperature as needed to maintain 250°F for about 1 hour. Alternatively, set smoker to 180°F and smoke for 2 hours or until fish flakes when tested. Continue to brush with cider every 20 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- •Cut into portions and serve with black-eyed pea hash and steamed green beans.
- •Substitute maple chips for the apple chips. Omit hard cider. Whisk together 1 cup Longo’s 100% Pure Maple Syrup and 1/4 cup bourbon and use to brush on salmon.
Maple Bourbon Variation
Per serving (1/6th recipe): 145 calories
- Protein 19g
- Fibre 0g
- Fat 6g
- Sugar 2g
- Carbs 2g
- Sodium 370mg