Prep time:15 min
Total time:5 days 25 min
11 1/2 cups packed golden brown sugar
6 1/2 cups kosher salt
12 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 fresh pork belly (about 5 lb/2.5 kg)
1 pkg (40 g) fresh Longo’s Thyme
- •Combine sugar and salt in large bowl. Add garlic.
- •Place pork belly in container large and deep enough to lie pork belly flat. Pour sugar mixture all over pork belly and rub until it is well coated. Cover with thyme. Wrap container well with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 5 days or up to 7 days.
- •Drain liquid from container and rinse sugar mixture off pork belly. Pat dry with a paper towel before slicing to cook. Remove rind if desired before slicing.
- •Cook sliced bacon over medium-low heat, turning often, until crisp to desired doneness.
- •Using a higher heat to cook sliced bacon will burn the bacon due to the sugar cure, so keep the heat at medium-low.
- •Slice the bacon as desired into thick or thin slices. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per serving: 270 calories
- Protein 23g
- Fibre 3g
- Fat 7g
- Sugar 24g
- Carbs 30g
- Sodium 690mg