Lattice-Topped Cran-Apple Pie
6 cups peeled, thickly sliced Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples (or a mixture, about 4 large)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup fresh cranberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Longo’s Organic All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp Longo’s Ground Cinnamon
Pie Pastry recipe (see Food Processor Pie Pastry recipe for directions)
1 Longo’s Enriched Coop Large White Egg (optional)
1 tbsp coarse sugar (optional)
- •Toss apples with lemon juice in large bowl; toss in cranberries. In small bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt; stir into fruit.
- •Roll larger disk of Pie Pastry to generous 14-inch circle on lightly floured work surface. Transfer to 9-inch metal or glass pie plate, gently pressing pastry into pan. Trim excess pastry, leaving 1/2-inch overhang all around. Transfer fruit mixture to pie plate, scraping out bowl with rubber spatula; level fruit.
- •Roll smaller disk of Pie Pastry to generous 10-inch circle on lightly floured work surface; cut into ten 1-inch thick strips with chef’s knife. Place every other strip over top of pie plate, spacing 1/2-inch apart and placing the longest strip in centre of pie; fold strips 1, 3 and 5 back over themselves, a little past the halfway mark. Place longest of the remaining pastry strips crosswise over top of pie, flush against folded strips; unfold strips. Fold strips 2 and 4 back; add another pastry strip crosswise over top of pie and unfold the folded strips. Fold strips 1, 3 and 5 back; add another pastry strip crosswise over top of pie and unfold the folded strips. Add pastry strips to other half of pie in a similar fashion.
- •Lift lower pastry overhang up over ends of strips and press to rim to make double thickness of pastry around edge. Flute or crimp edge. Whisk egg (if using) with 1 tbsp water; brush over pastry. Sprinkle coarse sugar (if using) over top of whole pie.
- •Bake in preheated 425°F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F; bake for 50 to 60 minutes (less if using glass pan, more if using metal pan) or until pastry is golden brown, apples are tender when pierced with tip of knife, and filling is bubbling.
- •Cool to room temperature on rack. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- •Granny Smith apples are tart and Golden Delicious sweet; adjust the sugar if you decide to make a single-variety pie. Cut apples into slices a scant 1/2-inch thick at outer side of wedge. This pie is delicious warm, but to avoid losing juices when you cut the first piece, cool to room temperature before serving. Interweaving the pastry strips is a bit finicky but worth the effort for a professional look. If it seems like too much work, simply lay them over top of one another without interweaving them. You can buy pastry wheels with curvy or zigzag cutting edges to cut the pastry strips for the lattice top.
- Protein 6g
- Fibre 4g
- Fat 26g
- Sugar 28g
- Carbs 71g
- Sodium 340mg