Lemon Fig Barley Buttermilk Scones
Yield 8 scones
10 dried figs, stems removed and diced
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 1/3 cups Longo’s Barley Flour
3 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp each baking soda and salt
1/3 cup cold Longo’s Butter, cubed
3/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- •Microwave figs with lemon zest and juice in a tightly covered microwaveable bowl for 1 minute or until figs have softened and juice has mostly been absorbed. Let cool.
- •Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is granular with some small pebbles. In small bowl, beat egg; scoop out 1 tbsp of the egg and reserve. Whisk remaining egg with buttermilk.
- •Add the figs into the flour mixture and gradually drizzle buttermilk mixture over top; toss with a fork until wet and dry are evenly combined. Turn out onto a well-floured work surface and knead gently about 10 times to make a smooth disc of dough.
- •Place disk of dough in the centre of parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Roll or press dough into a 9-inch circle, about 3/4-inch thick. With a long, sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 long triangles. Separate the scones slightly. Brush reserved egg over tops.
- •Bake in preheated 400°F oven for about 12 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot from the oven, or let cool on rack.
- •For square scones, roll or press dough into a 10 x 7-inch rectangle, about 3/4-inch thick. Trim edges to straighten. Cut rectangle into 12 squares. Place on prepared pan.
- •Freeze for up to 2 weeks. Let thaw and reheat before serving.
- •Substitute fig and lemon for 3/4 cup dried cranberries with 1 tbsp orange zest and 2 tbsp orange juice.
- •Reduce sugar to 1 tbsp and omit salt. Replace fig and cranberry add-ins with 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese and 1/3 cup chopped chives or thinly sliced green onion. No need to microwave. Sprinkle a few more gratings of Parmesan over the egg-glazed scones just before baking.
- Protein 6g
- Fibre 8g
- Fat 9g
- Sugar 19g
- Carbs 51g
- Sodium 410mg