Make-Ahead Roast Turkey
Serves 12 plus leftovers
1 Longo's Signature Fresh Young Turkey (about 14-18 lb)
2 tsp each salt and pepper
1 lemon, quartered
1 small onion, quartered
6 sprigs each fresh Longo’s Sage and Thyme
1 cup Longo's Chicken Broth (approx.)
1/4 cup Longo's Salted Butter, melted
- •Place turkey, breast-side-up, in roasting pan. Season all over, inside and out, with salt and pepper. Stuff cavities loosely with lemon, onion, sage and thyme. Fold neck skin under and tuck legs into skin to secure closed. Scatter neck and giblets around turkey. Pour broth into roasting pan.
- •Brush turkey with melted butter. Tent with foil; roast in preheated 325°F oven for about 4 hours depending on size (approx. 15 minutes per pound), uncovering halfway through cooking time. (Turkey is ready when an instant read thermometer inserted into the meatiest part of thigh registers 170°F.)
- •Allow cooked turkey to rest for 45 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Pour pan liquids into a large measuring cup, being sure to scrape in any browned bits too.
- •Remove legs, pulling out from body and slicing at joint; cut through remaining joint to separate drumstick from thigh. Leave drumsticks whole, carve thigh by removing bone and then slicing thickly. Place reassembled meat close together on rimmed baking sheet. Cut along breastbone to remove breast in one piece. Slice thickly across the grain; transfer as one unit to baking sheet. Remove wings; add to sheet or reserve for stock. Cover turkey tightly with foil. Refrigerate for up to 2 days. Refrigerate pan liquids in a separate container (they will solidify).
- •Skim fat off reserved pan liquids and melt 1 cup of it in small saucepan or in the microwave; drizzle evenly over meat. Recover tightly and heat in preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes. Transfer to warmed platter. Serve with cranberry mustard sauce and/or gravy (see tip).
- •For simple gravy, make a roux by whisking 3 tbsp each skimmed turkey fat (or butter) and all-purpose flour in a saucepan set over medium heat until well combined. Whisk in 2 cups of the remaining pan liquids and/or chicken broth. Simmer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Protein 61g
- Fibre 0g
- Fat 17g
- Sugar 0g
- Carbs 0g
- Sodium 430mg