Osso Buco Style Braised Ontario Leg of Lamb
Serves 8 to 10
2 tbsp Longo’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 each onions, large carrots and celery stalks, diced
4 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
1 1/2 cups Longo’s Chicken Broth
1 1/2 cups red wine
1 cup Longo’s Canned Crushed Tomatoes
2 sprigs each Longo’s Thyme and Longo's Rosemary and 1 Longo's Bay Leaf (tied with kitchen twine to make a herb bundle)
1 bone-in Ontario lamb leg roast, trimmed and tied (about 5 lb)
- •Heat oil in large skillet set over medium. Sauté onions, carrots, celery, garlic and 1/2tsp each salt and pepper for 10 minutes or until golden. Transfer to roasting pan, stir in broth, wine and tomatoes. Add herb bundle.
- •Season lamb with remaining salt and pepper; place over vegetables in roasting pan.
- •Roast in preheated 325°F oven, uncovered, turning leg over and stirring vegetables occasionally, for 4 hours or until meat starts to separate from the bone and sauce mixture is reduced. Rest lamb for 10 minutes before carving; serve with pan mixture.
- •For a thicker sauce, combine 3 cups of the pan mixture with a slurry of 2 tbsp each cornstarch and water in saucepan. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until thickened and glossy.
- •For a fresh gremolata topping, toss fresh chopped parsley and/or mint with lemon zest and minced garlic to taste and sprinkle over the sliced lamb at the table.
- Protein 45g
- Fibre 1g
- Fat 16g
- Sugar 2g
- Carbs 7g
- Sodium 660mg