Roasted Butternut-Tomato Bisque with Crispy Parmesan Straws
1/4 cup lightly packed fresh Longo’s Sage and Parsley
1/4 cup Longo’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
2 pkg (400 g each) Longo’s Cubed Butternut Squash
1 carton (946 mL) Longo’s Chicken Broth
1 jar (700 mL) Longo’s Signature Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
sour cream (optional)
4 sheets Longo’s Phyllo Pastry, thawed
3 tbsp melted Longo’s Salted Butter
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh coarse ground black pepper (optional)
- •Combine sage, parsley, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a single-serve blender or the small bowl of your food processor.
- •Pulse until a pesto-like consistency. (Alternately, finely chop herbs, rasp garlic and mix by hand.)
- •Toss 2 tbsp of the herb-oil with squash; reserve remainder for garnish. Spread squash on parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Roast in preheated 400°F oven for 45 minutes or until very tender.
- •Purée squash and broth in blender; pour into large pot. Add pasta sauce and bring to a gentle boil; simmer for 10 minutes.
- •Stack sheets of phyllo, brushing lightly with melted butter between each layer and sprinkling with Parmesan and pepper (if using) every second layer. Fold phyllo in half to make a long, narrow rectangle. Brush top with additional melted butter. Slice into 8 equal strips; twist strips several times and lay on a parchment-paper- lined baking sheet. Brush with remaining melted butter. Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
- •Serve soup with a dollop of sour cream, reserved herb oil and Crispy Parmesan Straws.
A dash of advice
- Protein 4g
- Fibre 2g
- Fat 14g
- Sugar 6g
- Carbs 24g
- Sodium 800mg