Sweet Potato and Cod Chowder
3 tbsp Longo’s Salted Butter, softened
1 tbsp each chopped fresh dill and parsley
2 thick strips double smoked bacon, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 tsp fresh Longo’s Thyme
3 cups peeled, chopped sweet potato (about 1 large)
2 1/2 cups Longo’s Chicken Broth
2 cups 10% half and half cream
1 lb fresh cod, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup Longo’s Frozen Corn Kernels
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1/3 cup diced red onion
- •Mash together the butter, dill and parsley; set aside.
- •Fry bacon in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels. Add onion, celery and thyme to saucepan; cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the sweet potatoes and broth. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are still firm but tender.
- •Add cream, cod, corn, salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until cod is opaque and potatoes are soft.
- •Ladle into warmed soup bowls. Sprinkle with red onion and reserved bacon and dollop with dill and parsley butter to serve.
- •Soak the red onion in cold water for 10 minutes; drain and reserve to help reduce the raw onion taste. Or you can replace the red onion with diced sweet red pepper that does not need soaking. If the bacon is very lean, you may have to supplement the bacon fat with butter. Or you can skip the bacon and replace it with 2 tbsp Longo’s Salted Butter.
- •Omit cod and substitute 1 bag (454g) Longo’s Raw 21/25 Shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed, chopped.
- Protein 20g
- Fibre 3g
- Fat 20g
- Sugar 6g
- Carbs 25g
- Sodium 640mg