Serves 6 to 8
1 yellow fleshed potato (about 8oz)
1 tbsp Longo’s 100% Pure Canola Oil
1 pkg (400g) fresh or frozen meat-free ground (thawed if frozen)
1 each onion and large celery rib, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup Longo’s Apple Cider
1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
1 tsp Longo’s Dried Thyme
1/2 tsp each ground allspice and salt
1/4 tsp each pepper and ground cloves
2 premade, vegetable shortening based deep-dish pie shells
Longo’s Mango & Peach Chutney (optional)
- •Pierce potato all over and microwave for 4 to 5 minutes or until fork tender. Cool until easy to handle, peel and fork mash potato roughly.
- •Heat oil in large non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Sauté ground, onion, celery, carrot and garlic for about 8 minutes or until golden. Stir in mashed potato, breaking up with a spoon. Add broth, cider, soy sauce, thyme, allspice, salt, pepper and cloves. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until most of the fluids have evaporated. Let cool to room temperature.
- •Defrost pie shells according to package directions. Carefully remove one pie shell from foil pan to a lightly floured surface and gently roll out to about 11 inches in diameter. Place remaining shell in pan on rimmed baking sheet, fill with cooled veggie mixture.
- •Moisten pastry rim with water, top with remaining pastry shell and crimp edges to seal. Cut a few vent holes in top of pastry. (Make-ahead - Assembled pie can be reserved in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.)
- •Bake on bottom rack of preheated 400°F oven for 45 minutes or until golden. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with Mango Peach Chutney, if using.
- •Transfer both crusts to your own 9-inch pie plate and no one will know it isn’t made from scratch.
- Protein 11g
- Fibre 5g
- Fat 18g
- Sugar 9g
- Carbs 50g
- Sodium 900mg