Zesty Zucchini Relish
Serves 6 (500mL) jars
4 1/4 lb zucchini, trimmed (about 14)
1 1/2 lb onions (about 5)
2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/3 cup pickling salt
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tbsp each Longo's Essentials Ground Nutmeg and Longo's Essentials Ground Turmeric
2 1/2 cups Longo's Essentials White Vinegar
1/4 cup Longo’s Prepared Horseradish
1 large hot pepper, including seeds, chopped
- •Pulse zucchini in food processor to finely chop; measure out 12 cups. Repeat for onions to measure 4 cups. Scrape vegetables into a large bowl. Stir in red and green peppers and salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- •Drain vegetables; rinse with cold running water. Drain well in cheesecloth-lined colander, twisting gently to remove excess moisture.
- •Place vegetable mixture into large saucepan. Stir in sugar, nutmeg, turmeric, vinegar, horseradish and hot pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for about 45 minutes or until thick.
- •Place 6 clean 500 mL mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer. Set screw bands aside.
- •Heat sealing discs in hot water. Keep jars and discs hot until ready to use.
- •Ladle relish into hot jar to within 1/2 inch of top of rim. Using a non-metalic utensil, remove air bubbles and add more eggplant or liquid if needed. Wipe jar and centre sealing disc on jar. Screw band to fingertip tightness. Repeat with remaining relish and jars.
- •Place filled jars on rack in water canner, making sure water covers tops of jars by 1 inch. Cover and bring to a full boil. Boil for 15 minutes.
- •Remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface for 24 hours.
- •Check sealing discs to see if they are curved down when gently pressed. Remove screw band and wipe jar. Store in cool, dark place for up to 1 year.
- Protein 1g
- Fibre 1g
- Fat 0g
- Sugar 7g
- Carbs 8g
- Sodium 386mg