Doing the right thing is part of the very fabric of our company. As a family business, the wellbeing of our Team Members and our Guests is our number one priority. I want to personally emphasize that COVID-19 has our full, undivided attention. We continue to monitor the situation closely and remain committed to ensuring every family has access to fresh food and essentials, especially in times of uncertainty, while keeping everyone safe and healthy.
- Anthony Longo, President & CEO
COVID-19 CASES IN OUR STORES
For more information about our response to COVID-19 cases in our stores, and how we support Team Members, please view our Store Updates document below. We will always notify and follow the guidance of public health.
STEPS TAKEN TO PROTECT OUR TEAM MEMBERS AND GUESTS
Changes to Store Hours
• Modified store hours to allow for more time to sanitize, restock and ensure our Team Members can rest.
Community Wellbeing Hour
• The first hour of the day, daily, at all stores.
• This hour is prioritized for seniors and at-risk members of our community .
Safety and Physical Distancing
• We've installed shields at our check-out stations and service counters.
• We have additional Guest traffic procedures to support physical distancing, one-way shopping aisles, and adding floor decals to show spacing requirements. You are no longer required to shop alone, but please note that we are still limiting the total number of Guests in the store at any one time.
• We instituted elevated Team Member wellness screening protocols at the beginning of every shift including contactless temperature checks.
Guest Wellness Screening
• Guests are required to complete a Wellness Screening before entering the store. Face coverings for Guests are also required. The Wellness screening has been reviewed and approved by Public Health and independent medical professionals. We understand that these are significant changes to your shopping experience and we thank you for your support and patience as we work together to keep everyone safe.
• All Team Members are required to wear face coverings and/or shields.
• Guests are required to wear a mask or face covering while in the store. We encourage you to bring your own face covering and appreciate seeing all the different versions many of our Guests have made at home including scarves, bandanas, and those made from t-shirts. Please ensure that your face covering covers your mouth and nose. If you don’t have a face covering, we provide single-use masks at our entrances for $1, payable at checkout, with net proceeds donated to the local food bank. We have new lower priced bulk packs and re-usable masks in stock.
Increased Cleaning and Sanitization
• Sanitation wipes and hand sanitizer stations continue to be available for Guests at our entrances and exits.
• Additional staffing and hours dedicated to the cleaning and sanitization of our stores.
• Guests are now welcome to bring their own reusable bags, however, we ask that you keep them in your cart at all times and do not pack items into them while shopping. We also ask that you please bag your own groceries at checkout. There is temporarily no charge for plastic bags.
• To reduce touchpoints, we have temporarily transitioned our flyer to online only. Contactless payments are still encouraged, as well as digital e-receipts through our loyalty program, but we will now accept cash payments at all check outs.
Closed Self-Service Areas
• We have temporarily closed sampling and self-serve hot and cold counters and salad bars. Our Kitchen continues to offer freshly prepared meals with expanded and new options to help with dinner inspiration.
Closed Loft, Corks, and Seating Areas
• Out of an abundance of caution, we have cancelled our upcoming cooking classes and will update Guests as the situation continues to evolve. Registrations continue for classes that remain on our site.
Support for Team Members
Throughout this pandemic, the health and safety of our Team Members, as well as recognition and support for their dedication to our communities, has been a top priority.
• We provide ongoing health and safety training and equipment. We were the first to implement mandatory masks and face shields as well as wellness screening with temperature checks for all Team Members. We also immediately installed plexi-shields in all service areas and continue to invest daily in additional Personal Protection Equipment and sanitization supplies.
• We support our Team Members with 10 days of paid wages in any instance where a Team Member has been in contact with COVID-19, so they never have to choose between their health and earning a living. We also provide flexible scheduling and accommodations as Team Members adapt their own lives around the implications of COVID-19.
• We have a strong focus on Team Member wellbeing, with everyone having access to our Employee Assistance Program, which provides wellbeing resources to support them and their families.
• We remain committed to providing a good wage strategy with higher than minimum wage starting salaries for all Full and Part-Time Team Members. We have also doubled our Team Member discount benefit to help make their dollars go further when it comes to feeding their families.
• We also recognize the support that our Team Members provide to our communities with Longo’s Family Charitable Foundation programs that help fund community initiatives.
For your protection and also for the safety of our Team Members, we ask the following of all Guests:
• Please do not shop in-store if you have travelled outside Canada in the past 14 days, have been told for any reason to self-isolate or are not feeling well. Ask a friend or neighbour to pick up groceries for you or schedule a delivery with Grocery Gateway by Longo’s.
• We encourage Guests to support our daily Community Wellbeing Hour during the first hour of the day, and leave this time prioritized for seniors and high-risk members of our community.
• Follow social distancing guidelines while you shop by staying 2 meters or 6 feet apart from others.
• Please use cashless payment methods (i.e. debit or credit) if possible.
• If you choose to bring a reusable bag, we ask that you keep them in your cart at all times and do not pack items into them while shopping. We also ask that you please bag your own groceries at checkout. There is temporarily no charge for plastic bags.
• You are no longer required to shop alone, but please note that we are still limiting the total number of Guests in the store at any one time.
• A mask or face covering is required while in the store. Please bring one with you to keep everyone safe.
• We are happy to provide accommodations for Guests with disabilities. Please speak with a Team Member if you require assistance.
As of July 2nd, 2020, we are back to accepting returns. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return the item with your receipt to our Personal Touch Services Counter and we will gladly offer a refund or exchange within 14 days of purchase. Please note that we will not accept returns of more than 3 of the same items and don’t accept returns for gift cards, baby formula, baby wipes, baby food, toilet paper, paper towels, and Lysol wipes.
Rainchecks and Substitutions:
Items featured in our flyers may not be in stock and we are not providing rain checks or substitution at this time.
Product availability and pricing:
We are working tirelessly with our supplier partners to ensure you have access to fresh food and essentials at fair prices during this challenging time, with new inventory arriving at stores daily. As demand continues for some products, quantity limits per Guest may be imposed until we are able to restock. During your shop with us, we ask all Guests to be considerate and supportive of other Guests and our Team Members.
Please know that we haven’t changed any of our pricing practices nor have we raised a single price to take advantage of COVID-19. Longo’s has been building trust with the community for the last 65 years by treating everyone like family and today, that trust is more important than ever before.